November 02, 2014

Stitching in colour: Twister Jack o' Lantern

Three years ago, I thought it would be fun to "celebrate the pumpkin" and have a Halloween party. It was such a blast, that we made it into a tradition. For this year's decoration, I didn't feel like carving a pumpkin, so I sewed one! I guess I am a bit late, but I wanted to share anyway.



Starting with 182 squares of fabric...



... which were laid out and sewn together.



My rotary cutter complained about lack of work, so I got out this charming little twister ruler and started cutting.



Those are 1 1/2 inch squares. Lots of them.



I then sewed the squares together again. This picture showes the back of the finished top. It looks like one giant seam allowance!



And the final mini-quilt. Every finished square is but one inch wide, so the size is 14'' x 15''. I didn't add any quilting because it's supposed to be hung on the wall and doesn't need it. Also, I like the little prints on all the fabrics, quilting over them would be a shame.



The one with the little white leaves or drops is my favourite of the bunch.

I made this Twister Jack from a quilt kit I bought at the 2014 Quilt Expo in Madison, Wisconsin, USA. The pattern is from Need'l Love and the twister ruler is the Itty Bitty Tool from Primitive Gatherings. Even though the result is awesome, I doubt I will use the twister ruler again, soon. Working with it is just so fiddly!

No comments:

Post a Comment